Are your kids complaining about warts on their hands and feet? Before heading to the doctor try this natural, pain-free remedy that works in two weeks or less.You may have got more than you bargained for at the local swimming pool. The pool deck and showers are a breeding ground for warts because the area is warm, moist and frequented by many people.
HPV (human papillomavirus), is the virus that causes warts. There are more than 100 types of the HPV virus and at least thirteen are cancer causing. Common warts and plantar warts are not cancer causing and they are harmless. They aren’t caused by the virus that causes genital warts or cervical cancer.
Our local swimming pool is constantly cleaning public areas but only so much can be done to prevent the spread of this virus.
Wearing flip flops or water shoes would help prevent warts but with a family of five taking on and off the shoes would be overwhelming.
What Do Warts Look Like?
Warts are usually small, round, hard and resemble a callus. Found on hands and the soles of the feet, on the heel or toes where the pressure of your foot meets the ground. Plantar warts can grow inward and may be painful.
Warts Are Contagious
Warts are contagious and the virus enters the skin through tiny cuts and abrasions. Warts are more common in children than adults because over time we develop immunity to the virus through exposure reducing outbreaks.
Anywhere where communal activities take place like playgrounds, gyms, yoga, swimming pools, schools and even at home where we wear bare feet and hands put us at risk. Not everyone will get a wart if they touch the virus. A strong immune system will keep the virus at bay.
Treating Warts at Home
Most warts will go away on their own within 2 years, but who wants to wait that long as they are contagious as long as you have them so the rest of the family is at risk. Warts can be unsightly and kids and adults can be embarrassed by their presence.
I am a let’s fix this now parent. We had a few failed attempts with the common over the counter wart remover containing salicylic acid. And my child would not allow the doctor near her with the liquid nitrogen to freeze the wart. Physically restraining my child did not seem like a good idea so I started researching how to treat warts naturally.
I knew there had to be an easier way and, to my surprise, I found lots of options. One natural ingredient kept appearing over and over in the articles I was reading – apple cider vinegar.
You may have heard of people drinking apple cider vinegar in the morning for health benefits. You may even know of friends who use it as a hair rinse to help it grow and keep it shiny. But from what I found it is the most amazing, effective treatment for warts. It kills them and, the best part, this treatment is pain-free.
Follow these 4 steps to quickly eliminate warts:
- Wash and dry affected area
- In a large bowl or pan mix 75% apple cider vinegar to 25% water. I use Omega Nutrition’s organic, unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar (contains pectin-rich ‘mother’, naturally formed by acetic acid bacteria in unpasteurized vinegar). ¾ cup apple cider vinegar to ¼ cup water for example. Do not use standard commercial vinegar, it must be apple cider vinegar.
- Place your feet into the bowl for 20 minutes (we did the soaking during iPad time)
- Rinse and dry the feet and you are done
- As the wart starts to die it gets black flecks and slowly pulls away from the skin and falls off.
If you have many warts, or they are very stubborn and are still visible after 2 weeks, follow the four steps above and use these additional steps.
- Soak gauze or cotton ball in 100% apple cider vinegar
- Cut the gauze to the size of your wart and place over just the wart. Then apply a bandaid to keep it in place.
- Leave on overnight and repeat nightly until gone.
- Tip: Wear socks to bed at night so you keep your bed sheets clean.
Please try a test patch on the foot prior to using the apple cider vinegar without diluting, to ensure you do not have a sensitivity or a skin reaction. I have not heard of any side effects but everyone is different. If you ever have any issues just rinse the area off with water ans stop using the solution.
How to Keep Warts Away
- Foot bath of apple cider vinegar once a week or monthly if you are exposed to many public places, i.e. swimming pools
- Help create a strong immune system for your child by giving them a great probiotic or Moducare for kids
- Wear pool shoes wherever possible especially if warts are a chronic problem
- Wash your feet and dry them after the pool
- Wash your hands often